Tuesday, March 3, 2009

The Shack - Believing God works all thing for Good

As a Church our Lenten Study this year is delving into the hotly debated book, The Shack. There is no doubt that it has a load of theology that is intertwined in a fictional book. And as with any human attempt at expressing the qualities of God, we must remember that we cannot get it fully right until we actually experience it and see God face to face. (I do however believe that this book offers a hopeful and well presented redemptive theology for people who have previously been wounded by the church and felt like God had abandoned them. *Actually I like the book a lot)
But I guess that is not why I am sharing about it in this blog. As I am digging through it and writing the questions that we will be addressing, one thought came out that I fully agree with, and believe is a breaking point for many people. At one point in the book Mack is interacting with the Holy Spirit (Sarayu) and they are dialoguing about his understanding of good and bad. Mack actually realizes that he needs to release his human judgment of what is good and bad because in his finite nature he could not know how God would eventually turn things. Sarayu continues one of his thoughts, "in one instant the good may be the presence of cancer or the loss of income - or even a life."
In truth we all hear people regularly sharing their hurts and pains. In fact many of us may on occasion bemoaning our own desperate situations. But in reality how do we know, or why do we believe that in the worst of moments God will abandon us. Or even worse why would we be so arrogant as to judge God as the one who caused that pain in our life.
I love this point in the book, and the theology that it offers. It basically reminds us of the fundamentals of scripture. God loved us so much that he took all of our pain, hurt, brokeness, and sinfulness to the cross for us. It is God's nature to redeem us out of pain, not to bury us in it.
So I hope you are all hearing these words as encouragment. Take heart whatever situations you face. God is hope, love, and peace for us when the waves of life turn against us. If you find yourself in one of those times, whatever you do don't bury your head in the sand believing that wave will overcome you. Instead look up with hope for God promises to turn all those terrible waves into the towel and basin with which Jesus will wash your feet.
In writing this I am stating without a doubt that God has already blessed us, strengthened us, healed us, and given our family hope through the presence of Leukemia in Jody's life. We know that not all the days will be easy, and that the future is unsure, but we do know that God promises to walk with us, and use the very source of our pain to bring about the best good for our lives. This is what it means for us to live victoriously. It is not that we are proclaiming our victory over the disease, but we are claiming victory through Christ in the way we respond to its presence in our family.
If any of you are struggling with issues of pain and believe you are alone. Remember God is with you, and let us know so we can be praying for you. With Christ we can all live in victory. Amen.

2 comments:

  1. "in one instant the good may be the presence of cancer or the loss of income - or even a life."

    I think you rightly identify this passage as a sticky one. I struggle with it, not because I do not believe that God is present with us always, but because of the language or syntax here.

    The author couched this in a way that sounds as if he’s suggesting that the pain we endure is the good of God. This could lead us to believe that God is responsible for afflicting us as a means to better ends…I’m not so sure I can go there.

    I think a more accurate statement may be that God is able to transform what pain we endure for good, or that God brings forth good in spite of the pain that would separate us from life. Pain and loss have no redemptive value in and of themselves.

    I look forward to talking (typing) this question and more out with you and the gang.
    -Mitch

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good Comment Mitch, yes the study is going well here. I look forward to sending you my list of questions. It really is a conversation filled with grace seeking to see the face of God.
    I do believe that exactly what you are struggling with in those words is expressed later in the book. (pg 187-88 in my hard cover) Mack just saw Missy and is discussing it with Papa. He asks, "Did she have to die so you could change me?"... The best response a couple paragraphs later is, "Mack, just because I work incredible good out of unspeakable tragedies doesn't mean I orchestrate the tragedies. Don't ever assume that my using something means I caused it or that I need it to accomplish my purposes. That will only lead you to false notions about me. Grace doesn't depend upon suffering to exist, but where there is suffering you will find grace in many facets and colors."
    Isn't that a great way to put it?

    ReplyDelete